Hope everyone had a hearty and happy Thanksgivvukah Feast! Spin the turkeys and carve the dreidle! …wait.
Not to be Captain Obvious, or anything, but it’s starting to get pretty cold out there.
Ned Stark? Winter isn’t coming, it’s here. And what better to eat during these cold times than warm home-made soup? I’ll tell you what’s better: RIDICULOUSLY EASY home-made soup. A crockpot is a weightlifter’s best friend, because you can cook a LOT of food with minimal effort. Here is a recipe for a chicken soup you make in a crockpot. Put the ingredients in, turn it on high, 4 hours later you have yourself yum in a bowl. Bonus: it’s chock full of protein and extra good stuff.
-1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
-2 whole bay leaves
-1.5 cups chopped carrots
-1.5 cups chopped celery
-1/2 chopped yellow onion
-2 tsp crushed garlic
-2″ cubes of ginger crushed [optional]
-juice of 1 lemon
-1T apple cider vinegar [optional]
-2tsp dried thyme
-2tsp sea salt
-2tsp crushed black pepper
-3 cups Organic chicken broth (NOT the low sodium kind)
-3 cups water
-2 cups chopped kale leaves [optional, but encouraged]
1. Place the chicken into a large crockpot (large enough for the bird to fit)
2. Add the chopped veggies and spices [except the kale].
3. Add all the liquid ingredients.
4. Turn on “high” for 4 hours, walk away.
5. After 3.5 hours, remove the bird carefully to a carving board and cut/shred all the meat away from the bone [don’t be afraid to really rip it apart with your fingers. Get in there]. Remove the bay leaves. Replace the [now shredded] chicken into the soup.
[5.5. Add in the kale. Stir up all together and let finish cooking.]
6. Serve warm and enjoy!
For more delicious recipes, go check out what’s cooking on the Crossfit Charlottesville recipes page! Rumor has it there’s a sweet potato & lamb sausage soup in the works…